Wednesday 12 September 2018

The Worth of A Diverse Portfolio

And so I finally find time to sit and write. Bit of a long one as a result. Sorry about that. It has all been building up in my head and so probably will lack a little structure as the stream-of-consciousness unfurls through my dancing fingers on the keyboard.
So, I have time to write today. This is mainly because today, I do not have any jobs on, though really I should be preparing for tomorrow's fairly major task; And also my dear lady is asleep upstairs after a long and productive night shift delivering babies. Hence I am unable to use my power tools, which is causing me no end of frustration as I have some beautiful timber I am just about to cut up to make a box for a friend. I have the fence all lined up on my circular saw and have calibrated it particularly accurately using the in-built laser line, a good metal rule and a magnifying glass (this latter because sadly even with my glasses now, resolving millimetres on a rule is a challenge). And so here am, sitting on my hands because I LOVE using my power tools and at the moment cannot.

And this brings me to a strange thought: These last weeks, my new-found means of (self) employment entails me doing for other people those jobs -pruning hedges, hanging trellis on walls, putting up gates, that kind of thing - which I happily do at home for leisure, only now people are paying me to do it. This has to be a Good Thing. And with the inclusion of the magnifying glass and a pencil sharpener to ensure my marking-out is accurate, I am extremely pleased with my handiwork. And so are others, it would seem.

So, when I think about how I made my living for over three decades, using my intellect and my extremely in-depth knowledge of, initially, electronic engineering, it makes me do a kind of internal double-take when I suddenly realise I am no longer using that for which I had trained for so many years.

Will I miss it? Yes, I think so. But I have a microcontroller and some other electronic bits and bobs here which I am getting together for a project so I will probably keep my knowledge up to date to some extent. But the challenges on a daily basis are not technical in the same way. That said, last week I bought the wrong size gate for a customer and found I had to build a suitable one from scratch using the wood and screws I just happened to have in the van. I was quite proud of it, and gratified this only took me twenty minutes or so (though frankly it wasn't difficult).
The challenges are therefore present, but different.
A sturdy bespoke gate built from scratch by my own fair hands. And a rabbit.

The other challenge I perceive is one of values. That sounds rather nebulous and a little existential perhaps. Actually it is not the former but may well encompass the latter. Allow me to elaborate:
when I was a corporate salary-slave, I had a particular role in a professional world. I traveled to far flung countries, I had meetings discussing the configuration and movement of literally millions of dollars' worth of product. I went out for dinner in expensive restaurants. My customers were in the region of tens of millions of dollars a year. People saw this as to some extent responsible and glamorous. I must be somebody to live that life.

Now, my customers are of the order of tens of pounds a day. I travel about in an old van. full of cement, wood and tools. People ask me what I do and I reply "Anything really. I maintain gardens, I put up fences, I hang doors". People on the whole seem rather less impressed with this response than my previous International Man of Mystery persona could provide. And I thought this would bother me. But it really doesn't. Were I inarticulate and felt intellectually inadequate, perhaps I would feel differently. But here I am writing this, able to divert, should I choose to the proteins comprising gluten, the best type of solar panel and charge controller, which philosopher I prefer for consolations in unhappy moments. Only some of this formed part of my education. The rest can be gleaned from books or online.

And this leads me, in my characteristic serpentine fashion, to the point that has been begging for examination in my funny-shaped head these last few weeks:
Where do we find our social value? Was I a somebody and am now a nobody?

Cars and houses seem a big thing in this particular game. I have a car and a house. Neither are remarkable. People wouldn't point to either and be impressed. Both are very ordinary. And yet, I am privileged to have either of them and feel so. My car gets me to see friends, to the shops, to dances. In that, it serves its purpose as well as something several times its cost. My house has more bedrooms than I need most of the time (three). Occasionally they are full of sleeping visitors, but usually, more likely, crates of beer bottles and boxes of books.  It is comfortable, warm and dry and I love living here.
My job, similarly will hopefully, once I have built a customer base, finance my lifestyle adequately. Or maybe I will founder and have to get a job in a shop. We'll see. For now, it looks promising.

So, what seem to be the usual markers of "success" are present, but perhaps my own "humble" examples of that are not perceived as being particularly high up that scale. Does this therefore make someone less "worthy" of regard? Does it cause them to be less likely to be invited to parties or have their company eschewed as being less desirable than that of more obviously "successful" people?
My experience is, actually, in general no. By having good manners and attempting to be genuinely nice to people, and as interesting as I can aspire to be within the confines of my intellect and personality, I have found people are as happy to talk to me and associate with me as an odd-job-man and gardener than when I was jet-setting around the world. It is not always the case, but when I do encounter those who look down upon my car, or who see me as a "loser" for lacking ambition and hence "success", I find in general, they tend not to be very careful in how they form opinions, accepting values from unreliable sources such as advertising or celebrity TV. Or prone to making incorrect assumptions about the nature of happiness and worth.

And so, I conclude that happiness and one's self of self-worth can be easily maintained without the cost of an expensive car or the soul-eroding responsibility of a "high-powered" job. In fact, it seems easier and cheaper to live a well-thought-out but simple life. And that is exactly what I am doing.

2 comments:

Kay G. said...

Hey! I am a nobody myself. Let's think of someone very wealthy with lots of power...Trump? No, thank you! Best of luck to you, whatever pays the bills is always good.

Librarian said...

Being able to actually MAKE things with your own hands, things people need and want, is definitely a Good Thing and something I greatly admire.
My skills are nearly all useless when it comes to basic survival; I can write up a Privacy Policy for any type of business or office and can translate Corporate Design Guidelines in all their beauty, none of it makes anyone's life better or easier - only my own, because it is what pays my bills.