Wednesday 10 April 2024

The Tiniest of Foes

 Our bodies seem to be battle grounds. One one side we have our immune system and associated allies and on the other, organisms that are out to get us. I can't imagine there is any intent on their part to do us harm but harm they do. I suppose it's a fight for resources: We have substances we have garnered from our environment, using effort and biological processes and they, the pathogens, want some of that but we are are their environment and it's the easiest way to get what they want.

For four days now, something has been troubling my digestive system. I will spare you the unpleasant details but suffice to say it is not a pleasant way to lose three kilos. Any attempt at eating causes abdominal pain and the symphony of hydraulic special effects from my middle is quite a conversation piece. Whether it was the ill advised fast-food "Louisiana-style" Chicken Sandwich I had in Oxford at the weekend, some detritus flung from the undergrowth by my strimmer into my face or merely a transmissible virus I picked up at a dance I really couldn't say. But I feel bloody awful and the probability is that this is caused by some organism I almost certainly couldn't even see with the naked eye. A number of them, even combined into some kind of community large enough to pass the threshold of infection in my seemingly poorly-defended constitution would still be too small to see without a microscope. Is this not humbling? Our hubris would have us think ourselves so adept at mastery of our environment but, as recent years show, some agent so tiny it requires optical instruments only readily available in a laboratory in order to see it can evade our control and render us miserable or even dead if we are unlucky.

I am not that unfortunate (at least, I hope I won't be. It's been four days and my recovery is open to interpretation). I suspect in a day or two I will be right as rain - an oddly topical and puzzling simile given recent weather where the rain has been decidedly not right by dint of its extraordinary abundance. 

So, thanks to Mr Van Leeuwenhoek and his marvelous invention, we are now able to know the nature of our adversaries when previously we blamed our physical ailments on "bad air", evils spirits, imbalances of the humours or witches. And now we know: In cases such as this, check the hygiene rating before you buy. Or wear a full-face visor when you strim. Tiny enemies lurk unseen everywhere.

1 comment:

Librarian said...

It is humbling, I agree. Even the common sniffles can render life so unpleasant for a few days, and yet by the time we're "right as rain" again, we take it for granted that we feel well and up to our daily tasks.
My biggest fear is to lose my eyesight and/or my ability to walk. I do what I can to maintain a reasonable level of health, without being constantly concerned with it, and so far have been doing well (or been lucky).

Gute Bessserung! You are right, there are much better ways to lose weight if one decides to want that.